Tweet

Welcome

License

Friday, August 21, 2009

LARPs

 

                                  Don Barrett

 

LARPs: What is the funniest thing you’ve ever heard on the radio?


Howard Lapides: Jack Benny. A robber stands outside a bank vault buried deep in Benny's house holding a gun on Mr. Benny and says “your money or your life.” Then what occurred was the longest prepared silence in radio history – one minute and thirty seconds. Benny finally answered, “I’m thinking.” 


Denise Fondo: The Jack Benny Show – any number of particular programs. 


Joe Ortiz (former KABC Talk Show host [1971], and former chief news reporter at KPFK/fm [1975]): The funniest thing I ever heard on radio was the “Who’s on first?” routine by Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, which has become more than a cult classic, if not the funniest sketch ever! I must have been about 10 years old (1951) when I first heard these two guys, who have become my favorite all-time comedians. I fell in love with radio after that routine, and it even inspired me to become a member of this noble institution, one that I never felt I would ever be a part of.  Ranking second is the whacky routines by my close friends,Lohman & Barkley, who kept me in stitches during the morning commutes in the 70’s. I have since purchased Abbott & Costello’s (Who’s On First) routine, downloaded every YouTube version and still guffaw every time I hear it. God bless Abbott & Costello.


(Posted on LaRadioPeople web site Friday, August 21, 2009)

 


 


No comments: